1. Video driver installed.
2. dbus installed and loaded.
3. consolekit installed.
4. true type font (like ttf-dejavu) installed.
5. Input drivers installed: xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard.
6. gamin installed. (For monitoring files and directories)
7. System fully upgraded (At least for Arch Linux, this is a recommendation)
8. Power utilities program for hibernate, shutdown, reboot and suspend. Example pm-utils and upower. User must be a member of power group.
9. Run as normal user not as root, we should not invoke desktop environment as a root user.
10. Good to have ~/.xinitrc for startx to load your correct desktop environment. If you do not have copy one from /etc/skel/ or touch one yourself.
11. If do not have ~/.xinitrc file then you have to invoke with xinit /path/to/de-script.
Start desktop environment manually at tty after you have successfully login
1. Insert this exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch <startlxde | startkde | openbox-session | enlightenment_start | gnome-session>, depend on the type of DE you use. Save the xinitrc.
2. Run startx in tty. Everytime you landed in terminal you just need to type startx.
1. xinit /usr/bin/<startlxde | startkde | openbox-session | enlightenment_start | gnome-session>
Start desktop environment automatically at tty after you have successfully login
1. Edit ~/.bash_profile. Notice this bash_profile is individually associated to each user.
if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
See above on how to edit xinitrc to startx correctly.
The above bash script is very minimum, your DE will not start if you are at tty2-6.
About Desktop Manager
Desktop manager is the graphical login. Many DM has choice of choosing different DE at login.
Start Desktop Manager after boot up
1. Edit /etc/inittab. Uncomment id:5:initdefault: and comment id:3:initdefault:
2. Uncomment one of the following that is appropriate:
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >/dev/null 2>&1
#x:5:respawn:/user/sbin/lxdm >& /dev/null
1. Insert desktop manager daemon into MODULES(….) array in /etc/rc.conf
2. The list:
KDE desktop manager – kdm
Gnome desktop manager – gdm
SLiM desktop manager – slim
LXDE desktop manager – lxdm