Here is a list of non-exhaustive functions provided by DBMS (Database management system)
- To prevent data lost during system failure, it should provide reliable recovery service.
- Provide transaction service for user such as read (select), update, delete, commit, insert, rollback.
- Provide authorisation service such as permission for user to insert (write new data), update (update existing data), read (select), delete on a database table.
- User accessible catalogue such as the use of views, which provide what user is required to read.
- Concurrent transaction protocol to prevent lost updates during transaction example of such protocol is two phase locking (TPL).
- Provide storage, retrieval and update services.