What is research
Research is a creation of new knowledge.
- A new and improved product
- A deeper understanding of a research topic
- A new or improved model and theory to compliment existing research
- A new or improved technique to solve certain research problems.
Aims of research
- Observe and describe a research problem
- Identify the cause of a problem
- To explain a research problem
What is ICT research
It is the creation of new knowledge in any ICT areas.
- New and more efficient routing protocol
- How to better secure gratuitous ARP used in virtual router routing protocol
What is research project
Project is a sequence of activities/tasks to create new knowledge within specific timeline, within budget, according to specification and with resources.
Phases of research
The following in sequence:
- Literature review
- Define research question/problem
- Research design
- Collect data
- Data analysis
- Report finding
- Survey – research data collected from population of interest
- Design and creation – research focus on developing new ICT product
- Experiment – research to find causal relationship between selected variables
- Action research = research focus to address practical issues
- Case study research – research focus on one or more instances of things of interest (case)