Allow root to use chromium-browser

I have written this before in my old post, but I could not find it.

By default chromium-browser does not allow root to launch, you need to be a non-root user in order to launch chromium-browser, this works the same for google-chrome.

first find the filename chromium-browser:

find / -type f -name chromium-browser

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser

This is one of the location of chromium-browser, however this is the file we need to hack using hexedit program.

If you do not have hexedit installed, use apt-get install hexedit.

Press tab, then ctrl+s, type geteuid.

hexedit will jump to the keyword, change geteuid to getppid. Then save by pressing ctrl+x, then press y to save.

People who used backtrack-linux distribution may prefer chromium to firefox, as backtrack linux tools need root privilege it is preferred to be used as root instead of non-root user account. Chromium has good security like sandboxing hence it is a good browser to choose.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Linux, System OS and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Allow root to use chromium-browser

1. it works in Chromium 17.0.963.65!
    thanks! 🙂

2. Gordan Zovko says:

I cant find geteuid, i searched it but it cant find it. any tips?

3. Craig says:

geteuid is not there. I had previously used this method to get it to work, but after fresh install this does not work.

4. cyruslab says:

Hi Craig, it should have geteuid, press tab and search again, most likely you are at the wrong section/column

5. sumsing says:

that’s working before i make update the chromium
    but now i can’t run
    any solution?? please

6. altsysrq says:

just edit /etc/chromium-browser/default to have CHROMIUM_FLAGS=”–user-data-dir”

• marx_zizi says:

/etc/chromium-browser/default to have CHROMIUM_FLAGS=”–user-data-dir”bash: /etc/chromium-browser/default: Permission denied
      why???

7. Shawn says:

Adding “–user-data-dir” to the launcher OR to the file the /etc/chromium-browser/default does not work on BT5 R3. I also tried “-u ” with no luck… I will now try the hex editing way, or install the beta!

8. Shawn says:

It screwed up the “-u <>” because after it I put which was filtered by the site (looks like HTML)

I meant to say “-u <>“

9. Shawn says:

WTF THIS IS ANNOYING! WEBMASTER FIX YOUR DAMN FILTER TO FILTER ONLY HTML!!!

“-u yourfkngusername”